Logo

Historic Art | Frederick B. Taylor

Taylor_rubbydubdrinkers_web
Taylor_dorchesterst_web Taylor_pouringresidue_web Taylor_rivetter_web

Click to view larger version
Print This Page

Three "Rubby Dubs" (Rubby Dub Drinkers), in Courtyard off Clark St., Montreal 1947

Technique: oil on panel

Dimensions: 10.5 x 8.5 in.

enlarge

Provenance:
Galerie Martin, Montreal
Kastel Gallery Inc, Montreal

About the Artist

Frederick B. Taylor (1906 – 1987) was born in Ottawa and mostly raised there, living briefly in London, England from 1916 to 1918. He studied architecture at McGill University and was awarded McGill’s Angiln Norcross Prize for drawing. After graduating in 1930, Taylor studied, exhibited, and worked in both Britain and Canada, eventually settling in Montreal by 1937.

After the Second World War broke out in 1939, Taylor began an unsuccessful campaign for the Canadian Government to start an officially sanctioned war-art program. Undeterred by the Government’s refusal, Taylor used his artistic talent as well as family connections (his brother was Canadian businessman and millionaire E.P. Taylor) to gain access to and document Canadian Pacific Railway′s Angus Shops in Montreal, along with several Canadian shipyards and other Canadian war industry factories.

During this period, Taylor was able to paint over 200 works that document the diverse, strenuous, and often unrecognized or under-appreciated work done by Canada’s factory employees. Taylor used a muted palette of industrial greens, browns and greys. He demonstrated an extraordinary ability to capture not only the industrial atmosphere and harsh fluorescent factory lighting, but also the intense look of concentration on the faces of the workers.

Taylor continued his artistic career after the War, exhibiting and participating in shows mostly in Quebec and Ontario. In 1960, he moved to Mexico where he tried his hand at sculpture and silk screening.


Read Less..
Read More..

Back to Historic Art Main